I empower individuals (children, adolescents, teens and adults), couples and families to live a meaningful life by connecting to their values and being their best selves.
My training and experience cover a wide range of areas including health, weight loss/weight management and general wellness, social skills/socialization, interpersonal relationships, anxiety, depression, trauma, anger management, assertiveness training, marital issues, parenting and child development and work/career related issues.
I am a consultant and trainer and often present at conferences and publish in my areas of specialty. I am also currently engaged in research and writing on the topics of overeating, weight loss and lifelong weight management for kids, teens, young adults, and adults. I am also conducting research on adult and young adult socialization and the acquisition of social skills.
- My approach to psychotherapy is based in Cognitive Behavioral Therapy, Acceptance and Commitment Therapy, Family System and Relational models.
- I use a mindfulness based approach to working with my clients.
- I am an actively engaged interactive therapist and am passionate about the work I do. I thoroughly enjoy working with others to improve their quality of life so that they live life meaningfully.
- Now offering Virtual Realty Therapy (VR) for phobias. It’s a newer type of evidence based treatment for fear of flying, bridges, spiders, etc.
To see my complete bio click here.
I guide group members to nurture and support one another and share relationally to foster connected healthy and satisfying relationships.
I am a Certified Group Psychotherapist (CGP) through the American Group Psychotherapy Association (AGPA) and have advanced training in group therapy through AGPA, Eastern Group Psychotherapy Society (EGPS) and Westchester Group Psychotherapy Society (WGPS).
Group therapy is offered in a safe, nurturing and confidential environment that allows children, teens, young adults and adults to work collectively on their specified goals and challenges.
- Group therapy is a highly effective method of treatment to help build community and normalize challenges.
- Group members will learn skills so they are conjointly able to provide support, accountability and feedback to one another.
- The groups are structured inclusive of both didactic learning and experiential exercises to reinforce and integrate skills.
- We strongly believe in continuity of care and will work collaboratively with other practitioners a child, teen, young adult or adult is engaged in treatment with.
To see a comprehensive list of the groups click here.
This empowering approach focuses on helping others to gain self-awareness, identify personal values, culminate self-acceptance, and take effective action to build self-belief, self-compassion and lifelong healthful behavior change.
Mindfulness and Meditative Practices:
I teach present moment and stress management skills derived from mindfulness and/or meditative practices such as Shambhala Meditation, Transcendental Meditation, Guided Meditation, etc. These practices facilitate greater awareness, more openness and greater perspective taking, and more meaningful and enhanced functioning.
Mindfulness-Based Health Management: Using a combination of the psychotherapeutic techniques of CBT, ACT and the practice of mindfulness, whether at the individual or group therapy level, this is a unique program that helps kids, teens, young adults and their families better understand their thoughts and feelings and create long-term sustaining healthful behavioral changes.
- The mind-body strategies will empower individuals to take personal responsibility for their health and foster a better understanding of how thoughts impact feelings which impacts healthful behaviors.
- The 4P’s (predicting, planning, putting into action and practicing) will provide an ongoing structure for the lifelong practice of health management.
- In addition to highlighting different skills, every session concludes with a mindfulness exercise to boost self-acceptance, self-compassion and the practice of loving kindness toward oneself.